Friday 17 July 2015

II


The grand hotel overlooks
A deep blue pool
Surrounded by novelty palm trees
Everything seems a waste
In winter
But it’s not raining here
And the sun is beginning to fill the morning sky
I’m too excited to sleep.


We play pool
Under the Jim Beam posters
Pints in hands
At the Sandbar.

Lewi leans over, his eye to the table
He hits the purple ball
Into the left hand side pocket
I groan.
On the TV above us
A football game
From the eighties finishes again
Men in small shorts jump together
Slapping each other on the back
“Did you see Sharon Olds?” he asks me.
I nod.

I had been leaning over a table of books
cradling her Father in my hands
when I had seen her over my shoulder
standing next to me.

I had in a purely surprised manner
Gasped out loud - it was unreturned

I thought for a moment
Of the small grey lady before me
And that perhaps she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen
And would ever see
Then maybe I thought,
I am being too romantic for this world

“Is staying with Brain okay?” I asked Lewis
“Yeah it’s fine.” He replied, his Adam’s apple
Rising and falling with the
Gulp of a beer.
“Who lets university students come and stay with them for the Writers Festival,” I thought,
“Only sickos.”





Will and I run up and down
The golden sand dunes
Gaining momentum
Laughing
And I feel like for a moment I know what it would have been like to be a child with him
In another world
He could have been my brother.
The Mildura desert
Spreads out before us
No one is around
Except for the birds that hang
And glide on the wind above us.
Pieces of torn off cardboard
Flutter on the sand
At our feet.
I am reminded of Anthony Lawrence’s talk
He said the constants in his work
Were landscape and weather.

The sand has wrapped around and engulfed the trunk of the giant Mallee tree.
We climb in its limbs
Anthony Lawrence said poetry was about
Finding something
Extraordinary in the common place,
I feel like we have done that.

What strikes me the most about the Poets
At the Festival
Is that they are cloaked right now
In the glow
Like a sequined cape of celebrity
But when they peel it back
They are still black inside
Lawrence said his default soundtrack
Was melancholy
And that reminds me so much of the poets I know
And the poets I see
These are multifaceted people
Shining in the dusk
We see them at their best – before they go to sleep.

On the drive back we pull over
Will steals some oranges from a heavily laden tree
On the side of the road
Mildura is famous for oranges.


1 comment:

  1. There are some really good lines in this poem Phoebe, and a feel for rhythm and suspense. I also like the broken, stop-start narrative.

    ReplyDelete